The Registry was formally established upon the appointment of the Registrar in June 1999. Since its establishment, the Registry has promulgated many important regulations and guidelines; assisted in the Institute's academic planning; upheld the quality assurance mechanism; formalized existing practices and introduced systematic work procedures; re-developed the student database and enhanced its security control and functions, and carried out the usual Registry functions as performed by its counterparts in other tertiary institutions.
The Registry comprised ten members, namely the Registrar, Associate Registrar, five Administrative Officers and three clerical staff. The Registrar, who is also a member of the Senior Management Group of the Institute, is the Head of the Registry and reports directly to the Vice-President(Academic and Quality Assurance). The Administrative Officers and the clerical staff provide administrative and clerical support to the Registrar and the Associate Registrar.
The Registry is responsible for implementing academic policies, procedures and systems relating to students. It provides a wide range of service:
- Answering public enquiries;
- Entertaining requests for prospectus and application form;
- Processing of admission applications;
- Liaision with admissions offices of other educational institutions, both local and overseas
- Coordinating the compilation of the teaching timetable;
- Keeping and updating a database of course information;
- Enrolling students in programmes;
- Allocating course choices for Year 1 students;
- Registering students on courses;
- Processing applications for adding and dropping of courses;
- Processing applications for course exemption;
- Processing applications for change of programme;
- Processing applications for taking courses which exceed the normal study load;
- Processing applications for retaking a passed course;
- Administering the issuance of Student ID Cards and their renewal;
- Provision of administrative support in the running of the Intensive Programme.
- Keeping and updating a database of applicants, students and graduates;
- Handling applications for deferment of studies;
- Handling applications for withdrawal of studies;
- Handling applications for refund of fees;
- Following up with students who are due to resume studies after deferment;
- Following up with students who have been unofficially withdrawn;
- Keeping a full record of students who have been absent from class;
- Provision of various student statistics for management use;
- Issuance of letters certifying students' status;
- Issuance of Academic Reports and Academic Transcripts;
- Processing applications for Intermediate Awards.
- Promulgation of examination timetables;
- Compilation of invigilation schedules;
- Ensuring security printing of examination papers;
- Coordinating all the logistic arrangements for examinations;
- Keeping a full record of students who have been absent from examinations;
- Processing and promulgation of assessment results;
- Administering appeals against assessment results;
- Informing students who are put on Academic Probation.
- Providing administrative support in the organization of the Institute's Graduation Ceremony;
- Production of award certificates for graduates.
- Compilation of the Institute's Academic Calendar;
- Promulgation and continuous updating of the Academic Regulations and the Assessment Regulations;
- Assisting in academic planning via the provision of secretarial support to the Academic Board, the Admissions and Examinations Committee and the Quality Assurance Committee.
- Production of the Institute's Calendar;
- Production of the Report on Admission of Students;
- Production of Report on Non-completion of Studies, in collaboration with the Student Affairs Office;
- Production of Registry's Annual Review Report.
Application for Intermediate Award (applicable to Higher Diploma students only)
Application for Supplementary Examination